... A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
I just finished this book by Christopher McDougall and loved it! Inspirational, informational and interesting... a great combination! Before I return it to the library I want to summarize the quotes I liked best from the text.
- 'We've got a motto here - you're tougher than you think you are, and you can do more than you think you can.'
- 'Think easy, light, smooth, and fast. You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don't give a sh*t how high the hill is or how far you've got to go. When you've practiced tat so long that you forget you're practicing, you work on making it smoooooth. You won't have to worry about the last one - you get those three, and you'll be fast.'
- 'Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction.'
- 'Strictly by accident, Scott stumbled upon the most advanced weapon in the ultrarunner's arsenal: instead of cringing from fatigue, you embrace it. You refuse to let it go. You get to know it so well, you're not afraid of it anymore.'
- 'Just beat the course. No one else. Just the course.'