Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Treasure What You Have

Sounds more like an order than a fortune cookie message, but a fortune cookie it was nevertheless. I didn't even look at it when I first cracked open the cookie, but when I pulled the paper out of my pocket this afternoon, I couldn't help but ponder the message.

Treasure what I have?! How often do I actually do that? Granted, this particular message is coming after three days of Charlie being sick enough to go to bed around 7pm every night and not really be of any help during the middle of the night. It also comes the day after the boys were up no less than 27 times last night. It comes after waiting for our things in an empty apartment and crying my eyes out on Sunday because I felt so lonely in this new, large and slightly overwhelming city. Treasure what I have?

I realized how often I can get caught up in the terrible downward spiral of feeling like everything in life is against me. The dryer doesn't really dry the clothes, the crib was damaged in the move, the backseat seatbelt keeps pinching my fingers since we don't have the carseat bases in this car, we can't get the Internet connected until Friday, blah blah blah. It's easy to feel that way after a night of getting no more than 45 minutes of sleep at a stretch. But then I stopped to think about what I do have.

  • I have a husband who is willing, able and excited to provide for our family. He is in love with me and adores the boys. He couldn't be more excited about his family. He gets a lot of satisfaction out of his job and feels like he's contributing to something worthwhile.
  • I have two babies who I am absolutely in love with and I get to spend every day with.
  • I have a teaching career on hold that I feel exceptionally good at.
  • I have my health (with the exception of an annoying cold) and can do just about anything I put my mind to.
  • I have been blessed with amazing friends in Connecticut and I'm confident that God will provide friends for me here in Dallas.
  • I have friends who keep up with my blogs and offer encouraging comments when it seems that I need them the most.
  • I have fantastic parents and parents-in-law (how many people can say that?!)
  • I have an apartment full of belongings that proves just how little we lack for in life.

I could go on, but you get the picture. It's the major things in life that I need to treasure more often instead of focusing on the little, stupid annoyances that catch my attention so easily.

Now that's a smart cookie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a pretty smart cookie yourself, Beth!

Becky said...

Sounds like you're on the right track, Bethie! I'm sure it's so hard, but I will keep praying for God to meet you where you're at. And, especially, to provide new friends!

Unknown said...

Its hard to move and make friends and establish a life, but it will happen. Don't judge yourself. It took me over a year here to feel like I had a life -and you are moving a lot AND your first priority is not going out with the girs, right? it will take time!

Anonymous said...

I"m so proud of you for choosing to be satisfied -- not an easy choice! I continue to pray for you, my friend! Give each boy a schmootsie (that's what my mom calls a kiss!) for me -- love, Kath