Friday, October 31, 2008

Sheesh!!

The day has finally arrived - we have received all the bills in the mail for my hospital stay and the NICU stay for the boys. The doctors' fees are not included in these values, and neither are things like anethesia for me or circumcisions for the boys. I guess because those are out of the ordinary from the normal hospital stay? Or maybe because a seperate entity performed the task (a circ doctor instead of the NICU staff)? I have no idea, but what I do know is that I am SO thankful for insurance (even though the current system has plenty of pitfalls that I won't get into right now).

I added up all of the bills and the total came to $91,163! Of that, insurance is only paying $58,355.95, which means that 36% of our stay is not paid by anyone. The insurance rep that I talked to this morning made a good point - the doctors are ok with 'writing off' this amount because they'll get it back at the end of the year. Sure makes you feel bad for those without insurance who don't get the luxury of accepting a huge portion as a write off!

All in all, we have to pay $900 ($300 deductible for each of us) - that comes out to 1% of the total bill. Though we'd love to get off scott-free, it's hard to complain about getting to ignore 99% of our bill.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow.