Friday, September 26, 2008

My Heart Goes Out...

...to single moms everywhere. Last night, Charlie left straight from work to drive to the airport to pick up his mom who will be with us for the week helping out. My mom left around lunchtime, so I was by myself from about 12:30-9pm and it was rough going for awhile!

Granted, the boys broke out of their previous routine of sleeping for about 3 hours at a time and decided that they would be hungry every 1.5 hours instead - and they decided that they wouldn't sleep at the same time either. I think they were conspiring against me!

They have this 'dolphin-sonar' language that they communicate with - high pitched sweaks and noises - and they go back and forth while they look at each other in the crib. I think that's how they lay their plans against me. I'll try to videotape it - it's adorable.

Anyway, back to last night...

I decided to give both boys a bath (well, I had to, they had both spit up all over themselves over the course of the day and needed one). This is usually a two-man job, but I was feeling ambitious. I bathed them both while trying to pacify the other because they were both starving at this point and then loaded them both onto the twin nursing pillow and fed them both at the same time. Previous to this, my mom and Charlie had to help get me situated, but I figured that they couldn't have made the pillow so that you needed three people to use it, so I gave it a go... and it worked!!

Here's a picture after their bath. I know they were starving, but I had to capture my small victory on film first. I don't know how single moms do this every day... it's exhausting!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Bethie, they're simply adorable! And yes, they probably are plotting and scheming :) But so so cute! Sounds like you're doing a great job with them! And you're right--I often wonder how single moms do it--its a lot of hard work! xoxo

Trisha said...

I hear ya Bethie! I think that every time that Luke works late and I am the sole caretaker of Sam from when he wakes up to when he goes down at night! It is exhausting :) Great job!