Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Extreme Generosity of Strangers

Since moving to Connecticut, I have met some amazing friends. Truly amazing. One, Becca, organized 3 weeks of meals for us after the boys were born. Another, Sandi, put me in contact with tons of other moms of twins before I even moved to the area so that I could start to meet people, get my questions answered and start building a support network for after the boys were born. A third, also Becca, has been a Godsend. She has reassured me several times alread that I'm doing a great job as a mom, helped me sift through the advice of the pediatrician to decide what works best for me and has stopped over to hang out with me even though she lives 40+ minutes away. All three visited me in the hospital after the boys were born and all three have asked multiple times to tell them if I need help with anything. This is a far cry from where I thought I would be after the boys were born. My best guess was that I might have some family come visit but that I would be/feel mostly alone and unsupported by anyone relatively close by... but in reality, God provided some fantastic women to build me up and support me in this new and exciting time.

The second Becca has a friend, who I have never met, who asked her if she knew anyone who had baby boys. She wanted to get rid of her baby stuff since she's finished having kids. So on the day that Becca brought dinner over, she also brought two FULL bags of newborn to 24 month clothes over from her friend that she said I can keep! These clothes are in nearly perfect condition and are so stylish! She also gave us a box of newborn diapers and two winter carseat covers. I can't believe how generous people can be to someone they have never met.

It's inspiring me, really, to spread the generosity to others when I have the opportunity.

0 comments: