Sunday, September 21, 2008

Going AMA Already

I knew that last night was going to be a tough night before it even began. I fed both boys later than usual because we had some friends over for dinner and they were still sleeping, but by the time they finished eating it was almost 11pm and they were both laying in bed wide awake. They usually fall right asleep, and Eli did, but Owen was awake again screaming from about 11:30-12:30 before he finally wore himself out with the help of Charlie trying every trick in the book.

I have been told that they are supposed to eat every 3-4 hours, 5 at the most, but at 1:00am when Eli woke up to eat, I didn't have the heart to wake Owen up too. I thought he would have woken up within an hour, but he slept until 4:30! That was a record breaking 6 hours that he hadn't eaten and, though I was feeling guilty about not listening to the pediatrician, I felt bad for the little guy for exhausting himself into 6 uninterupted hours of sleep.

I'm sure there will be other instances of going with my gut over listening to the medical professionals who are paid to know how to raise babies, but all I can hope for is that I'm right more often than I'm wrong!

0 comments: