Our sermon today was from Ephesians 5 & 6 and was a fantastic reminder about how to set goals for the new year to be a better person in the godly sense, moreso than the worldly sense. Below is a brief summary and some things that I thought were especially impacting:
Bruce (our interim pastor) talked today about the Important things of life versus the Urgent things of life and how it's not a matter of having more time, it's a matter of setting your priorities straight so you get things done in the order that they should be done. From the book of Ephesians, the priority list should go like this:
- Be a responsible PERSON (in your own life)
- Be a responsible PARTNER (in your marriage)
- Be a responsible PARENT (to your kids)
- Be a responsible PROVIDER (in your job)
- Be a responsible PENETRATOR (through your ministry)
A few things that hit me the most:
- Someone who is responsible is response-able. They know what needs to be done and they do it.
- If you want to be focused on your career, you shouldn't get married or have kids. If you do, your career automatically has to drop to #4 on the list.
- Kids don't MAKE a family - they just expand the one that you already have with your spouse.
- You don't get satisfaction FROM your job, you should bring satisfaction TO your job.
God is more concerned with who you are as a person, as a partner and as a parent than He is about your profession. This doesn't mean that you can do a bad job at work, but you should keep your priorities straight.
- Wisdom isn't gaining knowledge - it's applying knowledge.
Hopefully some part of this hits home with you like it did with me.