Monday, May 21, 2012

Introducing: Dylan Patrick Fox

Saturday, May 19 started like any other day. Charlie went mountain biking while I stayed with the boys, then I got a pedicure and went out to breakfast with Amy while he took over kid-duty. We met up for lunch and to start choosing new carpet for our house to replace the damage from the water pipe last week. We had another serious discussion about what name we would choose for the baby and put the boys down for a nap.

Around 3pm my contractions started. I knew pedicures could induce labor, and I had joked with Amy that today would be the day, but I didn't really believe it until it started happening! My contractions were about 7-10 minutes apart for an hour and then picked up the pace to about every 5 minutes and I started feeling them in my lower back. I called the OB on call, Nate, who is also our friend and the same doc who delivered Garrett two years ago. He said to come to the hospital and we'd see if today was the day.

Janice came to our house to stay with the boys until the Boltons could pick them up to sleep over at their house. We left for the hospital and were in a car accident on the way there! Seriously!? We were driving on the access road next to the highway that was bumper to bumper traffic because of construction and a weekend event happening in Grapevine. The guy in the right hand lane drove his huge SUV through the dirt divider, through the construction lane and all the cones and right into us! Thankfully we could still drive the can, but if the collision happened two feet from where it did, our air bags would have probably gone off. We exchanged insurance and kept driving to the hospital. This has been the month for insurance claims for us!

When I was at my last OB appointment on Wednesday I was dialated to a 1. When I got to the hospital at 6:30pm, I was already at 3cm and my contractions were coming much closer and harder. I was admitted and monitored and started all the paperwork. After I got my epidural and they broke my water, I was about a 4.5 around 9:30pm. I tried to rest, but it's hard when you know what's coming! Around midnight, Charlie and I noticed that the contractions had all but stopped on the monitor. Nate came in to check me to see if I needed an extra does of Pitocin and said 'I think it's time to have a baby - he's about to fall out!' What?! Over the next 15 minutes, he got himself and the room ready, they broke down the bed and I was ready to go. My epidural was so good and strong that I couldn't feel contractions, but also couldn't feel myself pushing. I tried once and looked at Charlie, asking him if that even did anything. 'Uh, yeah. The head's out!' What?! One more push and Dylan Patrick was born, 6 hours after we checked in to the hospital.

May 20, 2012, 12:23am
6 lb, 13 oz, 21" long

We are so thankful for another healthy, perfect baby and safe delivery. Welcome to the family Dylan - we love you so much already!


Jenny Boisseau said...

I CAN NOT believe the craziness of your life with water damage at home and then a car wreck going to the hospital. This is WILD! But I know Beth that you are putting it all in perspective right? And sweet Dylan is sure to make that all seem so small and fixable. Good luck with it all.