Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's a Good Thing...

We don't keep alcohol in the house. Does saying that tell you what kind of afternoon I've had? Let me paint a picture for you...

Around 1:30 is breakdown time. It's the time when they both decide that they are exhausted but unwilling to sleep any longer, gassy, hungry and in need of "both hands attention." When I say that, I mean that they are nearly impossible to calm down without the use of both of my hands. I'm sure you see the obvious dilemma here when they both have that need from me at the same time.

Despite the fact that Eli had eaten only 1.5 hours earlier (are we in another growth spurt?!), he woke up hungry. When I say 'woke up' I mean that in the loosest way possible because he hadn't really slept since he woke up from his 9am nap. So I'm trying to feed him while Owen is also waking up. Owen hadn't eaten in about 4 hours and was sleeping soundly, but only 5 minutes into feeding Eli, he lets out his signature blood-curdling scream for attention. Let me also interject that when the hungry one is crying is when the feeding son decides to go for a marathon eating session. Eli went for probably a full 30 minutes while I was trying to stave off Owen. So finally, it's Owen's turn. Now you'd think that Eli would be content enough to go to sleep (because remember, the little boy has to be exhausted!), but no, he's still desperate for attention too.

So here's the picture I want to paint: Me, on the couch, using one hand to hold Owen in place and the other to hold Eli's binky in place. If, for even a second, I let go of either, immediate screaming ensues. Let me also point out that I had to tuck Owen's hand into the pocket in my nursing bra or else his tiny little fists would go to town in the attempt of ripping my flesh from my body. Mental note: cut his nails! For Eli, with my one hand allotted to him, I had to hold in the binky and also rub his cheek with my other three free fingers to try to stroke him to sleep. His whole problem comes from his ultimate resistance to being swaddled, even though he LOVES IT after he's all wrapped up tight. He'll fight his hands free up to his face and continually startle himself awake, thus realizing the second that I let go of his face.

Wow... I'll bet this story really makes you want to visit the craziness that is my life, huh!?

On afternoons like this, the only thing that keeps me going is remembering the number of people who said to me "if I know anyone who can handle twins, it's you." I can handle it... at least that's what I keep telling myself to get me through the day!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Bethie...I know. I think all mommas have days like this, although I'm sure its definately amplified for you. I think its okay in those days to admit that "Yes, God, I CANNOT handle this without YOUR help!" Praying for you! Grateful God "gently leads those that are with young" (Isaiah 40:11)!

suzannah | the smitten word said...

beth, my heart goes out to you. praying for rest and calm for you and your boys.

i bet there are people at your church--maybe retired ladies, or stay-at-home moms whose kids are all in school--who would LOVE the chance to come hold one of your precious babies for an hour or two a week--people who you could call when you're in an impossible situation like that. it must be so hard starting over and trying to build a new support system. i wish i could come over and give you a hand.

God bless you and your family today. love you!

Anonymous said...

You are definitely one of the most capable people I know of handling twins. You should win an award for your patience. I can't wait to come see you and the boys!
love, Kate
P.S. So does this mean that Prague in January is out off the table?:)