Thursday, September 11, 2008

Amazing Love, How Can It Be?

If you're familiar with Christian music, then Amazing Love should be a song you've heard before. Charlie and I had this song sung at our wedding and it's always been a favorite of mine. This past Sunday, we were at a church service that happens once a month called Refresh. At Refresh, there is no set agenda for the program; the songs are planned, but the prayers and messages are "improv" as people feel impacted by God. It was much longer than a typical service, but it was so powerful to see and hear God giving multiple people the same vision (for lack of a better word) at the same time.

Before Amazing Love was sung, a man named Alex stood up to share. He reminded me of an English-accented Mr. Hooper (from Sesame Street) and was one of the most gentle, honest and convicting men I've heard speak in a long time. He spoke about how God doesn't have more than one kind of love. He looks at his son, with the most immense love that a father can possess, yet looks at us with the exact same love.

What really hit me during his message was having sons of my own. I look at them with all the love that I have in my heart and can't imagine how it's possible for God to love ME the same what that he loves his SON. It would not be humanly possible for me to love someone else with even half as much love as I have for my kids, yet that makes me all the more appreciative and humbled by the truth that I know about God's Amazing Love.

0 comments: