Saturday, February 07, 2009

Taste Sensations!

Here are two new recipes you HAVE to try. The first, courtesy of Ms. Paula Deen, was originally much less healthy, but I tweaked it where I could and it still turned out great. I'll list the recipe as I made it, but I might still cut some more sugar next time around.

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 can of reduced fat Grands buttermilk biscuits
3/4 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups blueberries
Less than 1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup quick oats

Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray. Melt the butter. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Cut each of the 10 biscuits into quarters. Dip each quarter in the butter, then in the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Line the bottom of the pan with the 40 biscuit pieces. Cover with 1/2 cup oats. Toss all blueberries with as much of the 1/4 cup sugar as desired. I used about and 1/8 cup total. Pour over the oats and cover with the other half cup of oats. Sprinkle a little sugar and more cinnamon (both to taste) over the top layer of oats. Bake in the oven 30-40 minutes (or until the biscuits are cooked through). Let it cool for 20 minutes and serve warm. Fantastic!

The second is much easier:
1 packet Nestle hot chocolate
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 cup milk

Heat the milk until almost boiling and pour over the other three ingredients. It's called Mexican hot cocoa, but I'm not sure why. Also fantastic!

I wouldn't recommend having both at the same time for risk of a sugar overload, but independently, both are repeatable winners.

I'm not sure why I started posting recipes, but I'm enjoying trying new things and always appreciate ideas myself, so I thought I'd pass them along. If you try them, or vary them, let me know how they turn out!

1 comments:

suzannah | the smitten word said...

i love recipes...keep 'em coming!

(i'm out of town, and don't have jim's steak rub recipe, but i hafta tell you it was WEIRD, in that the#1 ingredient is ground coffee. yup--and cardamon and salt and pepper, and maybe smoked paprika? it was good, and if that's not too weird, let me know and i'll find you the recipe. it's from the barbque bible--a great cookbook.)