Monday, August 07, 2006

It's Go Time

T minus 6 hours.

We take off today for the 105 mile hike through Shenandoah National Park. After three weeks of training with my pack, I feel confident that we'll be able to accomplish our goal. Google tells me that the last "provoked" bear attack was in 2004, and that black bears are highly unlikely to attack unless they feel threatened or startled. Let's hope neither of those emotions are evoked accidentally! Thunderstorms are likely on and off next week , which should make for a potentially interesting hiking environment. Other than the factors that we can't control, (weather, animals, injuries) I'm feeling great about the week ahead. Based on the trail journals I've read, the park sounds beautiful with difficult ascents but rewarding views.

Pray for safety, sunshine and strength.

0 comments: